Wednesday, June 2, 2010

OATMEAL saves the day. Day 2...


Today's a new day and it's already been rough - it's 10AM. Luckily last night I wined to my roommate about over eating oatmeal...and this morning I get this... 

Hungry Girl blog:
Oatmeal is great, but I totally hear you about the serving size. That's why I am ALWAYS looking for ways to bulk it up. And I have a brand-new trick for you! Last week, I was teasing HG video guy Adam about his ginormous bowl of oatmeal -- I almost fell down when I saw how much was in the bowl! Well, he informed me that it was ONE SERVING. I didn't believe him. Then he told me he made it with at least TWICE the amount of liquid recommended, cooked it for twice as long, and let it sit for a while 'til it became nice and thick. The next morning, I tried it out for myself. I used a serving of Old Fashioned Quaker Oats (1/2 cup), 1 cupUnsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze (only 40 calories a cup!), and 1 cup water; then I cooked it on the stove for about 10 minutes with 2 Splenda packets, a little bit of cinnamon, and a dash of salt. The result was a HUUUUGE bowl of oatmeal that was fairly thick, creamy, smooth, and DELICIOUS. Only about 200 calories and 6g fat, plus 5g fiber (POINTS® value 4*)! Since then, I have experimented by adding some other ingredients: fruit, original Fiber One cereal (1/4 cup -- just cook it right in there during the last few minutes!), and even a sprinkle of fat-free powdered Coffee-mate (for added creaminess). Completely AMAZING. I'm shocked it took me so long to discover this little tip, and I'm excited to be sharing it with all of you. Try it and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Holy Leedo! I love this Oatmeal tip. Hungry Girl rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY DUDE. ok. i have a tip for you too. i love making oatmeal like this: thick oats, agave nectar, apples, cinnamon, ground up flax seed. whoa babe, it's sooo soooo good!!! you will love it! oh and it's strawberry season, so...if i were you, i'd ad'em! i love you. i love this blog.

    ReplyDelete